ELA - We will being Unit 1 Module B with the book Friends Around the World. Students will work on Identifying the main topic of a longer text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs. We will also focus on how to use text features to locate key facts or information in a text and explain how specific images contribute to and clarify a text.
In writing students will learn how to write an informational piece.
Math - We will be working on Topic 2 material such as even, odd and arrays.
SS -Our focus will be on rules and responsibilities (our September Character trait)
Science - Students will take their human body test. Our next topic will is on how basic needs of living things are similar and different.
ELA - We are continuing to read Trouble at the Sandbox, and will start Snowshoe Hare's Winter home next. Both narratives are about different communities and how the characters solve a problem.
We will focus on how readers understand a character's point of view. In writing we will be working on how writers create a clear sequence of events in a story.
Math - This week students reviewed addition strategies from last year. We worked on doubles facts, near doubles, how to make a ten, patterns, counting on and counting back. Next week we will focus on using addition to assist in subtracting.
Science - Students learned about the Scientific Method and making observations. Next, week we will focus on the basic function of the brain, heart, lungs, stomach, muscles, and skeleton.
SS- We continued to discuss our rules and mission statement for Plato and our class. Students also discussed why the pledge and flag our important. We will continue to discuss this next week and also review what it means to be respectful.
We had such a wonderful time meeting parents and students at Open House last night. Please remember to complete the paperwork found in the blue folder. I look forward to working with you this year. If you have any questions please email me.
Reminders & Important information:
- Pearson, Kids A-Z, XtraMath etc.(username & password) will be placed in student’s OWL binder soon. No assignments at this time.
- Bloomz- Please find information in the Open House packet on how to create a parent account. Bloomz is a classroom tool that will help us improve behavior in the classroom. Parents and students will be able to create accounts to monitor daily/weekly progress.
- In a few weeks we will send our first homework packet on Thursday and it will be due on the following Thursday.
- We will be creating a sign up for Parent-Teacher conferences starting end of September. Please email us if you need to meet with us before then so we can set up a time. Please avoid ‘drop-in’ conferences.
- Please send in a healthy snack daily for your child. Students will have snack time each morning. Please note the snack must be nut free due to classroom allergies.
- There will be more Volunteer opportunities on Bloomz or Sign Up Genius
A big THANK YOU to all the parents that started volunteering and emailed about future opportunities!!! We appreciate it so much! Also, THANK YOU for all the donations and supplies!
Thank you for your cooperation!
It will be a wonderful school year!
Reminder: 1st-3rd Grade Summer Challenge Carnival will be on September 22nd! Please turn in all work by September 1st.
Mrs. Chaney &